We build data-informed models to evaluate the economic and environmental impacts of energy technologies. Our research is accelerating clean energy development by informing decisions made by engineers, policy makers and private investors. Read more…
Evaluating the dynamic environmental impacts of technologies
The impacts of technologies depend on various factors, including the background state of the environment.
Storage technology optimizationEnergy storage can help synchronize energy demand and supply, whether from an intermittent renewable resource or a vehicle charging station. Here we analyze energy consumption to determine lab-scale performance targets for storage technologies.
Risks and scalability of new technologies
We are developing ways to assess the risks of existing and new technologies in terms of cost and other performance metrics. This includes asking how such risks may change with the scale of a technology’s adoption.
Determinants of the rate of technological improvement
Different technologies change over time at dramatically different rates. Here we study what factors drive the evolution of technology, and cause some technologies to improve faster than others.
- Paper on energy storage for renewables in MIT News, the Financial Times, ClimateWire, ThinkProgress, UtilityDive, and others - 6/14/2016
- Paper published in Nature Climate Change: Value of storage technologies for wind and solar energy - 6/13/2016
- Marco Miotti presents Trancik Lab's interactive website on vehicle climate impacts in MITEI's Maker Space at MIT's Open House - 4/23/2016
- Prof. Trancik interviewed by LA Times in article on Aliso Canyon natural gas leak - 1/24/2016
- Greentech Media features recent report on the outlook for solar and wind energy under Paris agreement - 12/28/2015
- New correspondence article in Nature: Innovation: Clean energy enters virtuous cycle - 12/16/2015
- White House press release on the Paris Agreement references the mutually reinforcing cycle of emissions reduction and technology improvement - 12/12/2015
- CS Monitor features recent Trancik Lab report on innovation expected under Paris climate pledges - 12/11/2015
- New opinion article in the Christian Science Monitor: The hidden virtuous cycle of Paris climate pledges - 12/10/2015
- Prof. Trancik quoted in a Christian Science Monitor article on Paris climate pledges - 12/9/2015