Our research centers on evaluating and optimizing the performance of energy technologies, by combining the development of quantitative models and theory with the analysis of large datasets. We use this knowledge to set design targets that will help accelerate the development of technologies in the laboratory. This research focuses on a variety of conversion and storage technologies for electricity and transportation.
Evaluating the dynamic environmental impacts of technologies
The impacts of technologies depend on various factors, including the background state of the environment.
Storage technology optimization
Energy storage allows us to synchronize energy demand and energy supply, whether from a renewable resource or a vehicle charging station.
Risks and scalability of new technologies
We are developing methods to assess the risks of existing and new technologies in terms of cost and other performance metrics, and how these risks might change in interesting and important ways with the scale of adoption.
Determinants of the rate of technological improvement
Energy and other technologies change dramatically over time at different rates.
- Goksin Kavlak presents at the 2014 Materials Research Society Fall Meeting - 12/3/2014
- MIT news story on photovoltaics metals requirements research - 11/3/2014
- Paper published in IEEE proceedings: Growth in Metals Production for Rapid Photovoltaics Deployment - 11/3/2014
- Patent allowed on carbon-based solar cell electrodes - 10/2/2014
- Prof. Trancik presents a public lecture at McGill and Polytechnique Montreal: video, slides, McGill Tribune article - 9/25/14
- Fabian Riether receives a Fulbright Scholarship for the Academic Year 2014-2015 - 9/1/2014
- Professor Trancik named the Atlantic Richfield Career Development Professor in Energy Studies - 7/1/2014
- Professor Trancik presents an invited talk at the 37th IAEE International Conference on Energy and the Economy - 6/17/2014
- NPR coverage of methane emissions research and implications for EPA regulations - 6/13/2014
- Goksin Kavlak presents a poster at the 40th IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conference - 6/8/2014