Our research focuses on the predictive evaluation of energy technologies to accelerate their improvement. We develop data-informed metrics to relate technology costs and environmental impacts to design and manufacturing decisions. This new area of research aims to speed up the development of low-carbon energy technologies. Read more…
Evaluating the dynamic environmental impacts of technologiesAssessing the environmental impacts of technologies means considering many factors. Among them is the changing state of the environment itself and commonly-discussed mitigation goals.
Storage technology optimizationEnergy storage can help solve the problem of synchronizing energy demand with supply, whether it comes from a renewable resource such as a wind turbine or a vehicle charging station. Here we analyze energy consumption to determine lab-scale performance targets for storage technologies.
Risks and scalability of new technologiesWe are developing ways to assess the risks of existing and new technologies in terms of cost and other performance metrics. This includes asking how such risks may change with the scale of a technology’s adoption.
Determinants of the rate of technological improvementDifferent technologies change over time at dramatically different rates. Here we study what factors drive the evolution of technology, and cause some technologies to improve faster than others.
- Prof. Trancik's work featured in GRIST - 7/10/2015
- Poster by Prof. Trancik, Morgan Edwards, Magdalena Klemun, and Mandira Roy presented at COP-21 Scientific Conference - 7/8/2015
- Prof. Trancik, Morgan Edwards, Mandira Roy, Goksin Kavlak, Joshua Mueller, and Marco Miotti present at ISIE - 7/7/2015
- MIT Energy Initiative news story on metals growth rate requirements for photovoltaics technologies - 7/2/2015
- Morgan Edwards awarded Best Platform Presentation at the 2015 Technology Management and Policy Graduate Consortium - 6/23/2015
- Joshua Mueller and Morgan Edwards present at the 2015 Technology Management and Policy Graduate Consortium - 6/23/2015
- Prof. Trancik's research mentioned in the Financial Times - 6/16/2015
- Goksin Kavlak presents at the 38th IAEE International Conference - 5/27/2015
- Prof. Trancik's research mentioned in a Financial Times comment piece - 5/19/2015
- New grant from the Ford-MIT Alliance to support research on the time-dependent climate impacts of transportation fuels - 4/20/2015