Our research focuses on the predictive evaluation of energy technologies to accelerate their improvement. We develop data-informed metrics to relate technology costs and environmental impacts to design and manufacturing decisions. This new area of research aims to speed up the development of low-carbon energy technologies. Read more…
Evaluating the dynamic environmental impacts of technologies
The impacts of technologies depend on various factors, including the background state of the environment.
Storage technology optimizationEnergy storage can help synchronize energy demand and supply, whether from an intermittent renewable resource or a vehicle charging station. Here we analyze energy consumption to determine lab-scale performance targets for storage technologies.
Risks and scalability of new technologies
We are developing ways to assess the risks of existing and new technologies in terms of cost and other performance metrics. This includes asking how such risks may change with the scale of a technology’s adoption.
Determinants of the rate of technological improvement
Different technologies change over time at dramatically different rates. Here we study what factors drive the evolution of technology, and cause some technologies to improve faster than others.
- New grant from ARPA-E to combine technology and behavioral modeling to support energy-saving transportation choices - 8/6/2015
- Prof. Trancik's work featured in GRIST - 7/10/2015
- Poster by Prof. Trancik, Morgan Edwards, Magdalena Klemun, and Mandira Roy presented at COP-21 Scientific Conference - 7/8/2015
- Prof. Trancik, Morgan Edwards, Mandira Roy, Goksin Kavlak, Joshua Mueller, and Marco Miotti present at ISIE - 7/7/2015
- MIT Energy Initiative news story on metals growth rate requirements for photovoltaics technologies - 7/2/2015
- Morgan Edwards awarded Best Presentation at the 2015 Technology Management and Policy Graduate Consortium - 6/23/2015
- Joshua Mueller and Morgan Edwards present at the 2015 Technology Management and Policy Graduate Consortium - 6/23/2015
- Prof. Trancik's research mentioned in the Financial Times - 6/16/2015
- Goksin Kavlak presents at the 38th IAEE International Conference - 5/27/2015
- Prof. Trancik's research mentioned in a Financial Times comment piece - 5/19/2015